Sean Collier Dead: MIT Campus Police Officer Slain In Confrontation With Terror Suspects
Sean Collier, a Massachusetts Institute of Technology police officer, was shot and killed late Thursday night during a confrontation with the two Boston Marathon bombing suspects. He was 26.
Watertown Boston MA MIT Shootout 4-19-2013
One of the Boston Marathon Bomber’s was killed in the shootout. His younger brother is still at large.
Dubai Adds Lamborghini Police Cars
An Incredibly Simple Way to Escape from Wrist-Binding Zip Ties
Yes, you read that correctly. An NYPD officer has been arrested for allegedly attempting to “kidnap women and cook them.” According to multiple reports the FBI arrested 28-year-old Gilberto Valle, a six-year veteran of the NYPD, earlier today. FOX reports that Valle worked at the 26th Precinct in Manhattan, and was suspended on Wednesday. We’ll update as more information becomes available.
[UPDATE] ABC has obtained the criminal complaint against Valle, which alleges that he and a co-conspirator, named only as ‘CC-1,” corresponded over email and instant messages to create a file of over 100 potential victims, all women. The FBI alleges that Valle used the National Crime Information Center database to compile the list, and that Valle had no authority to use the database. The FBI spoke to 10 of the women, who confirmed that they knew Valle in some capacity.
Here is an excerpt from Valle’s online communication with CC-1 (at one point he asks, “How big is your oven?”)
“I was thinking of tying her body onto some kind of apparatus&cook her over a low heat, keep her alive as long as possible.” “I love that she is asleep right now not having the slightest clue of what we have planned. Her days are numbered. I’m glad you’re on board. She does look tasty doesn’t she?”
No one was injured by Valle. NYPD Commissioner Ray Kelly said in a statement, “This is a bizarre case. We suspended the officer immediately upon his arrest, and a review is now underway to determine whether there was anything in his background that should have alerted the department to his alleged proclivities.”
Riah Phiyega said that 34 miners were killed on Thursday and another 78 wounded when her officers used “maximum force” near Marikana mine, owned by Lonmin, the London-listed company.
They did so when a gang of “heavily armed” miners rushed towards them, armed with firearms as well as clubs and machetes. “Police retreated and were forced to use maximum force to defend themselves,” said Ms Phiyega.
South Africans have been appalled by the violence, which summons memories of the apartheid era and has been compared with the Sharpeville massacre of 1960. But Ms Phiyega said: “This is no time for blaming, this is no time for finger-pointing. This is a time for us to mourn the sad and dark moment that we experienced as a country.
President Jacob Zuma has left a summit of African leaders and travelled back to South Africa.
Police were called in after thousands of miners gathered at Marikana, about 62 miles north-west of Johannesburg.
Images broadcast by private television station e.tv carried the sound of a barrage of automatic gunfire that ended with police officers shouting: “Cease fire!” By that time, bodies were lying in the dust, some pouring blood. Another image showed some miners, their eyes wide, looking in the distance at heavily armed police officers in riot gear.
It was a harrowing development in a country that had been seen as a model of stability since white rule ended with South Africa’s first free elections in 1994. The shooting recalled images of white police firing at anti-apartheid protesters in the 1960s and 1970s, but in this case it was mostly black police firing at black mine workers.
Several commentators said members of the new union, the Association of Mineworkers and Construction Union (AMCU), had guns and other weapons and used them when the shooting began.
Joseph Mathunjwa, the union’s president blamed Lonmin, the London-list company which runs the mine, and said the huge National Union of Mineworkers collaborated against the striking workers.
He denied his members played any role in the violence. AMCU does not yet have enough members to be registered as a union.
“This violence involves 2,000 workers but there are more than 20,000 other workers who are suffering from this now,” said NUM president Frans Baleni.
Zwelinzima Vavi, General Secretary of the Congress of South African Trade Unions said: “This is the worst news, we have never experienced that kind of massacre before.
“We were not involved with the strike action or the violence.
“This violence has been running in those mines since January, it was sparked by some rivalry.
“The National Union of Mineworkers has been established for many, many years, and is always engaged in wage negotiations, including last year.
“A new union arrived and made fresh demands for a 200 percent increase in wages for certain categories of workers, and those demands were very attractive to many.
“So this union started to recruit very aggressively and violence was meted out against NUM.
“Every day a body was found in the squatter camps around the mine, and the police had been ineffective in picking people up who did that violence.”
Mr Vavi said the dead picked up in the squatter camps were usually workers associated with NUM.
Helen Zille, Democratic Alliance leader said: “This is an absolute tragedy, the worst we have had in a democratic South Africa. We need an independent inquiry and there is a clear picture from our TV screens of what happened.”